If your refrigerator is too warm, freezer won’t defrost or too cold then you may need to replace the defrost timer (part# WR9X489). The first step is to disconnect the power to prevent electrical shock. Open the refrigerator door and remove the knob from the cold control. Pull down on the light cover, hinge it upwards and lift it out the way. Remove the light bulb and set it aside. Next remove the single quarter inch hex screw in the center of the air diffuser on the control housing. Rotate the housing outward and set aside. Remove one more quarter inch hex screw from the top of the controller housing. Once you remove that screw, tilt it forward and lift it away from the back panel. Disconnect the wire harness by depressing two locking tabs on the side. Now that you have the control housing out of the refrigerator, remove two quarter inch screws that hold the timer to the housing. Flip it over and remove the timer out of the housing. There is a 4-pin connector that attaches to the defrost timer. Use a flat blade screw driver to pry between the connector and timer. Discard the old timer. Plug the new timer into the harness. Position the new timer into the housing and replace the two quarter inch screws. The defrost timer has a dial that will only turn in a clockwise direction. Using a flat blade screwdriver, turn it until you hear a loud click. The click indicates the beginning of the defrost cycle. Turn it a bit further to take it out of the defrost cycle so the refrigerator will cool. Now you’re ready to reinstall the housing. Reconnect the wire harness. Attach the control housing and reinstall the screw. Reattach the air diffuser and the screw. Reinstall the light bulb. Reattach the light cover and knob. Now you are ready to reconnect the power. Your repair is complete.
ARS - Appliance Repair Service
90 Basaltic Road #8, Concord
4.5 663 reviews
- Janet Bizyk ★★★★★ a month agoFrom our experience today, I would strongly recommend ARS. Steve arrived as scheduled and examined the washer in a very knowledgeable, professional manner. Explained in detail all avenues concerned, discussed the issue with the washer … More and solved our problem. Great job and thank you Steve.
- Bernard Oeltjen ★★★★★ in the last weekDishwasher was broken and wouldn't drain properly. Tried to repair ourselves but was getting stuck. Called ARS to schedule a repair visit. Noah kindly walked us through the basics of the drain process on the phone. We decided to … More try one more thing based off the call before booking them and it worked! Thanks Noah for your great service and knowledge expertise. Will definitely call ARS again in the future.
- Jessica Weisz ★★★★★ 2 months agoPhenomenal service! They even have a handy site where you can know what spot you are in the technician's day and how far along they are in their list. Super handy to having a better idea of when the technician will arrive.
- nicola dent ★★★★★ 5 months agoPeter was on time, polite and very knowledgeable. He took the time to diagnose the issue with my dishwasher and then followed by explaining and showing me exactly what the issue was. He explained his plan to fix the issue and identified … More the potential issues that would follow should additional work or parts be needed. Luckily his first solution worked perfectly. He stayed to ensure a test of the dishwasher worked and that I was happy with the resolution. He also took the time to explain a separate issue I was having with the fridge while we were waiting for the dishwasher test to happen. Peter was a great technician to have on their team - very knowledgeable, professional and personal... great experience and highly recommended.
- mary A. ★★★★★ a month agoWhat a great customer service! We had a noise problem with our fridge and had a wonderful and very knowledgeable technician who figured out the problem in a few seconds. THANK YOU PETER! Peter went above and beyond his responsibilities … More to make sure the fridge works well. The problem was solved and the fridge is working properly. I’m very happy and thankful for the great service.
- Mark I ★★★★★ a month agoARS completed another great repair/service call! A very efficient operation (email reminders, technician tracking, phone reminders) that prides itself on making sure your repair person is there on time. The service person himself, at … More least the one that visited us, was great! Cleaned up after themselves and were very fast.